Backpacking abroad is a great way to explore a region and have a unique visit in a foreign country. You will get a different perspective backpacking through a country than you would going on any other type of vacation. By the end of your tour across Europe or any other area, your appreciation for the natural beauty of the land and the inherent charms of its people will have vastly increased.
Backpacking trips are not something to take lightly, however, and planning your trip in advance can protect you from some of the most common problems faced by hikers around the world. Here are a few things to consider before taking a backpacking trip:
- Are you physically able to make the trip? It’s unwise to go on a long backpacking trip if you’ve never done anything like it before. Start with shorter hikes at home and work your way up. Also, be sure to check with a physician to ensure there are no underlying medical conditions that could make strenuous exercise dangerous for you.
- Do you have the proper gear? Take some time researching the areas you’ll be visiting to ensure you have the right equipment and clothing. Some regions may have very different climates than others, especially if you’re crossing a substantial distance. Pack appropriately.
- Will someone be going with you? Although it’s not impossible to backpack solo, having a partner is generally a very good idea. Your partner can call for help if something happens to you, and you can watch out for each other on the road. If you don’t have a partner, have someone back home you can check in with frequently and who knows where you’ll be. That way, if you don’t arrive at your destination, someone will be able to alert the authorities.
- Do you have an alternate route in mind? In case weather conditions are too severe to hike safely, you’ll need to make other plans. It’s a good idea to bring plenty of money for emergency transportation or lodging.
- Do you have enough money? The cost of a trip will depend on your destination, the route you take, the time of year you travel and several other factors. Consider airfare, hotel and hostel costs, food costs and any shopping or entertainment you’ll partake in. Take some time to craft a detailed budget, and bring some extra money to cover surprise expenses.
Backpacking across Europe can be an exciting adventure, and considering these tips from Cheapflights Canada will help you stay safe and well-prepared for anything you may come across.